About AFI Security Training Institute
AFI Security Training Institute’s instructors each have more than 10 years of experience in the private security field. Our director and chief instructor has over 30 years in the industry. This combined experience in the fields of law enforcement, corporate security, and in-service training guarantees that each of our instructors brings a high level of expertise in security and its related fields.
We aim to provide the following:
- highest quality of training to security officers and potential security officers
- comprehensive training at an affordable tuition fee
- an understanding of not only what security officers do, but why
- printed material and other resources that aide the security officer in his or her studies
AFI Security Training Institute's goal is to provide security officers and potential security officers the best possible training and resources to help them succeed in their industry.
AFI’s instructors are selected not just on the basis of their experience, but on their outlook. Experience in the private sector is a prime qualification; after all, if someone has not worked in the private sector, how could he (or she) possibly know what challenges and issues your officers will face during the course of their assignments?
AFI STAFF EXPERIENCE:
Fern Abbott, licensed Private Detective and Certified Polygraphist, has been in the security field for over 30 years, working as an undercover investigator, background investigator, polygraphist, supervisor, manager, and assistant director. In her management capacities, she has supervised both in-house and contract security officers. She has worked for such diverse and well known companies as Alpha Metals, Lerner Stores Corporation, Orhbach’s, A & S, Tiffany & Company, Pinkerton’s, First Security Services, White Westinghouse – Frigidaire, and CBS Broadcast Operations; has taught Security Administration at Interboro Institute, a 2 year college in NYC, and since 2000 has been the Trade Show Co-ordinator for the NYC chapter of ASIS International.
“Having been a supervisor, I know what makes supervisors crazy,” she says. “Just like you, I’ve smacked my head and muttered, “Why didn’t anyone ever teach these guys xxxx?’ Well now, we can teach security officers what they should know before they come to you.”
Read Fern's Articles on Security Management:
- "Why Security Officer Certification Benefits Everyone", ASIS International Security Services Council Newsletter, January, 2014
- "Why Do Employees Steal?", LPPortal.com, July-August, 2013
- "Key elements of a successful training program", ASIS International Security Services Council Newsletter, March, 2013
- "Why do Private Security Companies Let "Bottom Feeders" Set the Standards?", ASIS International Security Services Council Newsletter, July, 2012
- "Is 'observe and report' the best policy for protecting your facility?", New York Real Estate Journal, June 14-27, 2011
- "Did you remember to say 'thank you' to your security professional", New York Real Estate Journal, February 9-22, 2010
- "You get what you pay for", New York Real Estate Journal, November 10, 2009
News & Honors:
Fern was invited to address the NJ State Police Private Detective Unit’s latest class for SORA (Security Officer Registration Act) instructors on “How To Be An Effective Instructor.” Of 350+ currently certified NJ SORA instructors, she was the only instructor asked to make this presentation to an instructor’s class.
AFI was also chosen to provide SORA training to the Perth Amboy Board of Education's full staff of security officers. Click here for our PowerPoint presentation. We are also the training school of choice for the Delaware Valley Job Corps Center, in Callicoon, NY.
AFI’s Chief Instructor:
Tony Vega is a retired New York Police Department Sergeant, with more than 20 years’ experience in the private sector. While employed with NYPD, Tony also worked for such well known establishments as Sears, A&P, Waldbaum's, Shoprite, King Kullen, Western Beef, Gucci, Rolex, and the Hard Rock Café, encompassing such areas as basic loss prevention, protection of high end valuables, scheduling & supervision of both in-house and contract security officers, armed security, and acting as liaison between client company & security agency.
During his capacity as a Sergeant of police in the NYPD, Tony was a Designated NYPD First Responder to any terror attacks, such as the 9/11 attacks & bio hazard attacks. He received Terror Response Certification and Rescue Certification via joint training courses with Homeland Security and the NYPD.
In addition to his other endeavors, Tony is also a licensed NYS Realtor, with offices in NY & NJ.